CLS Supports BioSpaceBack
CLS recently supported BioSpace in the collection of regional data for their 2024 US Life Sciences Employment Outlook report. The survey results for California aligned with the national data, underscoring the following key points:
- There is a climate of concern, with the market being described as “very tough” and competitive. An incredibly challenging funding year has caused many companies to experience slowed growth, restructuring and layoffs.
- There is evidence that the life science industry is resilient and thriving—it’s not all doom and gloom. When surveyed about their current work situation, most respondents were positive.
- With high unemployment rates and instability in the current economic climate, 2024 is shaping up to be a busy period for job search activity. Even among those who are currently employed, half will be actively looking for a new role.
- Remote work options continue to motivate employed professionals.
- Hiring remains slow compared to last year. 21% of surveyed companies anticipate making layoffs in 2024. For those recruiting, the largest percentage of hiring will be in R&D.
- 69% of life science professionals report that diversity, equity and inclusion is important to them in their next role, though 64% of companies are not doing anything specific to attract diverse talent.